Acne Treatment Jacksonville
Our board-certified experts in Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery are here to help you look as good as you feel.
What is acne?
Acne is a common skin condition. Most people will experience acne sometime in their life. While we often think of acne during the teenage years, many adults experience acne too.
Acne occurs when the pores (small openings in the skin) become blocked. Typically pores become blocked by over-production of oil or sebum from the sebaceous glands. Blocked pores cause whiteheads or blackheads to form. If the blocked pore becomes inflamed, pimples, deeper nodules, and cysts can also form.
Acne ranges from mild (only a few pimples) to severe (painful nodules and cysts). In cases of moderate to severe acne, scarring can occur. It is important to treat acne early to prevent potential scarring.
What causes acne?
- Hormonal changes cause the body to produce more sebum, the oil and fatty acids in the skin’s hair follicles. Common causes of hormonal fluctuations include puberty, use of hormonal birth control, anabolic steroid use, or stress.
- Bacteria can grow in blocked hair follicles, causing inflammation. Inflamed glands can form pustules, nodules, and cysts.
- Irritation such as picking at existing acne or head gear, hats, or helmets can irritate the skin, which causes more inflammation and can worsen acne.
- Environment factors such as high levels of humidity or air pollution can contribute to acne.
- Products, using greasy/oily lotions or certain hair products like pomades or waxes can block pores and cause acne.
What are the treatment options for acne?
Below are some of the common treatment options for acne. Your doctor may suggest a combination of these treatments to help achieve the best outcome.
Before and after:
What can you expect?
Before any procedure, you will have a consultation with our expert dermatologists. The physician will listen to you, perform a thorough evaluation, and provide you an individualized treatment plan to address your specific needs and concerns.
Choose Jacksonville Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery
Our Dermatologist can help you explore options to rejuvenate or refine your appearance to help you look and feel your best. We can help you improve your complexion, confidence, and achieve younger and healthier looking skin!
We deliver remarkable patient experiences through quality, compassion, & innovation. We are a team who cares deeply about our neighbors & are a positive resource to the community.