We will help you determine all the factors that cause your dark under-eye circles and develop the correct approach for your unique circumstances.
No one likes waking up with dark circles under their eyes. However, it’s something that millions of people, both men and women, experience each morning.
Information on the internet would make you believe that a single approach will treat and remove your dark circles. But the issue is that various factors contribute to their development, and understanding each of these factors is key to getting rid of them for good.
At Jacksonville Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery, our expert cosmetic dermatologists are here to help restore your skin to a more youthful look and feel. We will help you determine all the factors that cause your dark under-eye circles and develop the correct approach for your unique circumstances.
What Causes Dark Under-Eye Circles?
It is essential to understand that each person is different. What causes dark circles for you is not necessarily what causes them for another.
Some of the most common reasons why people experience dark under-eye circles include:
- Getting Older – As we age, we lose volume in the facial area. We have a soft pillow of tissue under our eyes that shrinks and decreases over time, leading to a decrease in the natural volume of the under-eye area and creating a shadow.
- Dehydration – Our bodies are made up of 60% water. So, when we get seriously dehydrated, our body tissues will begin to shrink, including the soft skin under our eyes.
- Sleep Deprivation – Seriously lacking sleep can cause these dark circles. When we don’t get enough restorative sleep at night, our blood vessels dilate, causing an increase in blood flow. Since the skin under our eyes is thin and delicate, the dark tint caused by the rise of blood volume is more noticeable.
- Eye Strain – Straining your eyes doesn’t just affect your vision. When you struggle to see something and strain your eyes, the blood vessels enlarge under your skin and show through as dark circles.
- Contact Dermatitis – Since the skin under our eyes is delicate, dermatitis can leave behind post-inflammatory changes that add to dark circles.
- Seasonal Allergies – Allergies can have a significant impact on our delicate under-eye skin. Inflammation, along with frequently rubbing our eyes, leads to broken blood vessels and bruising. As the bruising heals, dark circles are often left behind.
- Underlying Medical Condition – Several health conditions can contribute to dark circles – poor nutrition, vitamin deficiencies, anemia, hypothyroidism, malabsorption syndromes, and specific metabolic syndromes.
- Genetics – For some, genes could be to blame.
Can You Get Rid of Dark Under-Eye Circles?
Yes! Once we determine the cause of your dark circles, we can find the right approach to treating them. There may be more than one solution.
At Jacksonville Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery, we offer dermal cosmetic fillers. These fillers are a non-surgical option for facial rejuvenation. Fillers can soften lines and restore volume and fullness to the face. This technique is also known as soft-tissue augmentation. Soft-tissue augmentation can be used to erase dark circles under your eyes, soften lines, plump lips, and enhance facial contours helping you look as good as you feel.
Today’s fillers are safer, longer-lasting, and provide more predictable results than older generations of fillers.
Our expert cosmetic dermatologists will listen to you during your consultation, perform a thorough evaluation, and provide you with an individualized treatment plan to address your specific needs and concerns.
Contact Our Office Today!
We can help you explore options to rejuvenate or refine your appearance to help you look and feel your best. We can help you improve your complexion, confidence and achieve younger and healthier-looking skin!
Our dermatologists deliver remarkable patient experiences through quality, compassion, & innovation. We are a team who cares deeply about our neighbors & are a positive resource to the community.